Monday, September 8, 2014

Transfers and Service

Well, this week flew by!!                                     

Some things new, we had transfers! I am still in Zarumilla, but I now have a new companion! His name is Elder Encarnacion, he is originally from Ecuador, but he has been living in Arequipa, Peru, for the past 3 years. I actually knew him while I was in Tambo Grande, he was serving in my zone. He now has about 8 months, this is his 3rd area, and he is quite awesome! He is a funny guy, I am excited to see how things go.

This morning Elder Moses and I spent the morning reorganizing my apartment, now it is organized much better, lots more space. And cleaner. Elder Moses seriously is a saint for helping me. He is part of my District, and he is from California! I will get around to sending pictures soon of the apartment.

And so the 3 companionships in the district got transfers. Elder Rollins is off to SECHURA! I am so so pumped for him. But it isn't my area, but his pensionista will be Hermana Mara!! So awesome. So his companion Elder Orellana will now be training a new missionary here! And Elder Ponce (Elder Moses' companion) is off to Paita. Elder Moses will be here with Elder Cisneros, a very loving missionary, he seems super awesome. He is in the same group as Elder Plata. Elder Corpona left to Piura, in San Pedro. That is the same part of Piura that Elder Encarnacion was in before he came here!

This week, as you can see in the pictures I'm sending, was full of service! Painting and cleaning windows, and cleaning a water tank, it was quite enjoyable!!

As for investigators, R's baptismal date fell, she hasn't been attending church. We just gotta help her get support from her family. J is doing super well, but this past week has been really, really hard for him with some tragic family events. I won't go into detail, but his daughter passed away quite abruptly, so this week he has been busy with family and other appointments and such, but we have been passing by quite often to offer a hand of help and we are teaching the plan of salvation. Hopefully we can help him through these rough times.

Congrats Uncle Bryan!! I will be honest, last week when I heard that the Stake Presidency was going to change, I too, like many of the family it sounds like, thought you were one fit for the job. Knee pads might be a good investment, you are gonna be such a great Stake President!

Well I am growing and doing well! Honestly this week I have learned that Satan is playing super serious hard ball. He is 100% out to destroy God's plan. He is day and night after us, and we've got to be full time working to build God's kingdom and have the Holy Ghost to guide us. This week I had a serious desire to find more power as a missionary and I learned a little more this week that it comes through principles of righteousness, as it explains in D&C 121:36. I loved that scripture this week.

Well, sorry that isn't too much information this week, but I will be sure to write more next week!! haha Love you all!! Keep up the good work!

Elder Collin Russell

To answer mom's questions:

When was a time that you felt the spirit most strongly this past week?
Really, this week I came to realize how seriously Satan is taking his work, and how fallen the world has become. I will be honest, this mission has been showing me a LOT about the true state the world is in. And this week I searched in how I, as a missionary, could receive more power. And it all came down to D&C 121:36. This week I felt the drive from the spirit exhorting me to be better. And that was great, this week I honestly feel like my power as a missionary and priesthood holder has grown and better understood personally. Now I just gotta keep this up every week!

What was the best thing you ate recently?
Yesterday I once again realized that I love Seco de Cabrito. Cabrito is like goat or sheep or something. But I quite like it. Also my favorite foods these days are Pescado Sudado (Fish that is cooked like in a broth that they serve with a separate plate of plain rice) and Arroz con Mariscos (rice mixed with shrimp, clams, octopus, and such sea food)

How are your District Leader responsibilities helping you to grow?
I am learning to work on my feet and focus on the needs of others. I just get to learn lots from a lot of other missionaries and just always help out in this and that. More than anything I am learning the importance to serve and the constant companionship of the spirit to guide the work. And having this position has been helping me recognize the spirit and improve my teaching skills a super bunch.

There ya go!! Have a great week :)

Elder Collin Russell




No comments:

Post a Comment