Thursday, October 3, 2013

Ready to Hit the Ground Running... HARD


Hola Familia!

Ok, this week was great!!

This week I became so rejuvinated, we had an AMAZING devotional by an Area 70 and his wife, and they hit every topic under the sun that I wanted to hear about! Overcoming our Goliath, how to get along with companions, overcoming pride, making sure nobody allows you to waste your mission, and so on. Very good and uplifting and just what I needed!

Today I bought me some very nice Spanish scriptures at the Distribution Center by the temple, they are the dark red cover and they have tabs, I am so excited to use those and start marking them up!! They gave us paperback scriptures that are kinda bigger, so I will bring and use those too, but I wanted nice ones to keep forever and others in our disctrict have gotten them too. So I am so excited to use them!

I´m glad to see I have been replaced by a dog. But it´s ok. Elder Chapman was replaced by a new car I hear. hahaha

I can´t believe Chase is home!! I thought about him a lot this week and especially last Saturday when he was coming home!! Man, that sure did fly by, didn´t it?! I hope I can be even a fraction of how spectacular of a missionary he was. I got some great examples to look up to, don´t I?!

Ok, so... there is a girl named Hermana Kirk in my district. And ever since I got here, I knew that there was something familiar about her... And this week I finally figured it out. SHE HAS AUNT CATHY´S LAUGH!! haha I was so happy when I finally realized! So that´s just something fun!

We do get to watch General Conference here!! We are all VERY excited! I can not wait to learn, and especially that it is in English for us! haha Man, we lucked out, althought, Spanish is going well! Actually, yesterday we were practicing with the North Americans that got here a week ago, and after I finished giving the lesson to them, they were like, Man, you got the language down!! And I was like, hahah thanks (glad I got them fooled, eh?) haha but yeah it's awesome, it really does come to you!

Our room mates are SO AWESOME! We have even done role playing with them in Spanish! They don´t know like any Ingles whatsoever so we have taught them a little and they teach us and they talk to us a lot in Spanish, so it really helps! They are so funny, I really hope I can be one of their companions in the field at some point! Their names are Elder Olortegui and Elder Villena.

You guys wanna learn some Quechua??! Tupananchis Kama, wawa. That means, Hasta Levista, Baby. haha it's the one Quechua phrase here everyone knows. :)

Oh also, you remember how my mission call got put on facebook and stuff?! there is a Latino here from VENEZUELA who saw it on there!! He told me and I was like, ¿¡En Serio?! haha I think that is just crazy. And he is going to Piura too. All the Latinos are so awesome!

Yesterday, our district did the only Spanish challenge, where we tried to see who could go the longest without speaking any English! I made it until lunch, and that was the farthest anyone made it, except for Hermana Eames, who won! I was proud of her for that! The best part was when Hermana Linford, who created the game (and definately one of the most competitive people in the district) lost not even 2 hours in by accidently saying Hello instead of Hola! We all got a kick out of that, she was quite bummed out!

One thing about the new roomies, two nights ago, they set the AC on cold. And I mean COLD... Elder Paucar when he was here before them, didn´t even want a little fan, he loved it hot! But then Elder Villena put it on 16 degrees Celcius! I was freezing under my blanket and sheets! Whew! Every single one of us was freezing that morning, even Elder Villena, so we haven´t done that again. haha

We watched last Sunday Elder Holland´s Don´t you Dare Go Home Devotional. Wow, powerful stuff. I hope I can do everything I have been sent out to do while I´m here, I am so excited to finally get out to Piura and hit the ground running and hit the ground HARD!

Also, do you remember when in my setting apart I was blessed that I would be healing a lot. Well that's even been coming to pass here in the CCM! There has been a lot of sickness here and there, and me and my companions have actually given healing blessings to both of our teachers, Hermano Gonzalez Braullio (who says hi, by the way) and Several Hermanas in our District. I am so grateful that I have been blessed with this opportunity to help and serve others, and even heal others. I feel like I can best focus when I drown myself in the cares of others. When I focus on myself is when I start to sink. I honestly feel that way, so that is another reason why I can not wait to get to the field where I can really give all my attention to real investigators and their lives and needs.

We have a new teacher investigator, Rut. She is Yomira´s mother, but she is a less active. She hadn't gone to church in over 20 years and we invited her, and she liked it but when she went she also felt very sad because she would look around and see all these faithful and obedient members and feel bad about herself because she doesn´t keep the commandments. So we are now working with her on reestablishing the commandments, and yesterday taught the word of wisdom. I hope and pray she is doing better and we can continue to help.

Oh, I don´t know if I already told you about this, but WRITE THIS DOWN. Before I get set apart when I get home, let me give the family (mom, dad, Logan) blessings as a missionary! I would really like to do that. :)

Wow, Chase was right, I really do write Epistles sometimes, that was a lot! I hope you enjoyed it all!

Oh, quick thing! About gaining-losing weight on missions. Elder Chapman has actually gained some weight! He says he has never had this much of a gut!! hahaha! Ok, maybe not too fat, but it´s become a big joke in the district that he´s getting really fat. :) I actually feel like this is some of the most eating I´ve done too, and althought I still look scrawny, I think I got a little extra on my belly. I hope, I could really use it. haha Also, I heard that Hermana Dionicio (PM teacher) her brother served in Piura and he came back PLUMP! Like, with extra chins even! So lets hope the same goes for me, eh? hahaha!

Well, I best be heading off, my timer is ticking down! and then its off to learn more language, teach Teresa, and learn how to teach better!

The church is true!! Satan tries very very hard to make us not feel ready or worthy to do the Lord´s work. He knows how to strike fear! But I also know that the Lord blesses us with peace and a sound mind! And I know that as we come to know and understand the Savior and His Atonement, that we can feel with absolute confidence that we are ready and worthy to perform His work and return to His kingdom. I love my Savior very, very much! And I know He loves me, and I know he will never EVER stop loving me, or loving you, or any single one of us. I love this Gospel and the peace and joy it brings to our lives! I love you all!!

Con amor y felicidad,
Elder Russell

My district with our morning teacher, Hermana Carrillo, aka Yomira :)



No comments:

Post a Comment