Thursday, September 26, 2013

Things to Celebrate :)


Hola Familia!

So, two things to celebrate!! One is this 28th, signifying my official one month mark! Holy cow!! sometimes I sit here and groan like, I seriously have 23 more months of THISSSS! But then other times, more often then not now, I´m going Holy Smokes, I've only got 23 months left!! This thing is FLYING!!

The second thing was September 21st, do you remember what happened that day?? It's a big day in Mormon history, go read Joseph Smith History for more information, but that´s the day Moroni visited Joseph Smith!

And I totally missed Johnny Appleseed´s birthday!!! MAN! I´ll have to eat an apple tonight. haha

Ok, where to start...
Mom, YES. FRIEND ELDER BRAULLIO GONZALEZ. He is a teacher here, and one of my favorites at that!! I gave him both you and Dad´s emails and names for facebook, and my information. But friend him and he can send you information about how I´m doing and he is a very nice guy. He actually went to the temple with us today too. But he is a teacher, and yeah. I love the man. Talk to him, he is very fun! We have a superhero handshake and he always gives big hugs whenever he sees any of our companionship. haha

Well, my two companions are now the ZONE LEADERS! Haha yeah! I´m district leader over us 3 elders and 7 hermanas, and they are the zone leaders over all the North Americans! Which as of last night covers about 60 at least I´d say! so it´s pretty great. I walked around today and talked to a lot of the new elders since I love getting to know new people and see how they are doing, and they are all great! A lot of people going to Trujillo, like Gabe Preece!

We got a new member into our district actually, so now there are 8 hermanas! It is Hermana Parker, who was in the older group but she tore or pulled her ACL and bruised her bone playing volleyball, so she has to stay another 2 or 3 weeks... bummer deal for her but she is very fun and we are glad to have her! She is from Louisiana, and you can tell by the accent. haha She is going to the Lima South Mission.

Spanish is coming along! When the new Latinos came in yesterday night our companionship was running around helping them with their bags and we were all speaking Spanish! It is suprising how much you learn and pick up! It is still very far from perfect, but it is coming! It´s like drinking from a fire hydrant, just a little gets in, but we are just learning how to open our mouths a little bit wider and wider every day. haha

Elder Reyes and Paucar left from our room, and we now have 2 new Latinos! I do not know their names yet, or at least how to spell them, so I will figure them out for next time. But one is from Equador and the other is from La Paz, Bolivia. And they are both going to Piura! And they both don't speak a lick of English, so it will be a great work. Elder Reyes and Paucar would always stay up so late!! These two are lights out and asleep by 10:30, it's remarkable, and very nice for us.

Elder Reyes and Elder Paucar were awesome! On the last day we were all friends by then and saying goodbyes, I gave them twinkies, and Elder Paucar had never had one before!!! He took a bite and we were like, How is it? How is it?! And he is laughing and has his mouth full and you hear a muffled ´´Que rico! Delicioso!´´ It was so awesome!

Well, Immigration stuff was this week, but Me and Elder Miller and Hermana Woodbury had papers that apparently weren't properly sent from SLC or something, so we didn´t go this time. But don't worry, this just means that we have to return to Lima 3 times within the next couple months to complete forms to stay. Most elders only have to come once more, like Elder Chapman will, but we come 3 times, I believe. The first time will be after we´ve been out for only like one week actually! But don't take any concern into it, if anything is a problem that we need to take care of, I will let you know.

Last proselyting was different from the first time, this time we were put in companionships then traveled around with ward members and visited less actives that weren't coming to church and focusing on inviting them back. Very important step of missionary work often overlooked. But it wasn´t as effective I thought.. It wasn´t giving a lesson exactly in the essence that we are used to so our vocabulary suffered, and the ward members took the bulk of the discussions from us. My experience was good though. One of the bishopric members and two old hermanas drove me and my Latino companion around to see people. But a lot of the time was spent trying to figure out where people live.. But when we did teach, it was good! Our last house was two sisters who they and their parents were sealed in the temple a couple years ago but have since fallen away... we talked about the spirit they felt and talked about how you can feel that at church and following the gospel, and just talked about church with them, I don´t remember all that much about what was said, but the spirit was there! Just another moment that I've been here when I´ve felt like, yeah, I love being a missionary. I just can´t wait until I fully can speak and understand everything. They say that usually takes one or 2 transfers out here, so we´ll see!

Some new stuff I've heard about Piura!! They have Mangos that are MASSIVE. Imagine a softball, then double the size. And the mangos are still a little bigger. Some even the size of my head!! I´m so pumped for that. And also, when you get farther out into the country, people travel by being taken places in a wagon drawn by Burros!! haha! I´m so excited to see all this stuff! I am very excited!

Oh, and Hermana Carrillo says hi! She is our morning teacher, aka Yomira!

Ok, so here is roughly how our schedule will go:
Breakfast at 7, language study-teach investigator or comp study at 8:45, Language taught by teacher at 9:45, teaching practice (role playing, learning what to leach, etc.) at 11, coaching missionary study (teacher will focus on an aspect of missionary teaching and teach about it, last lesson was about the role of the Holy Ghost) at 12, lunch at 12:30, Additional Study (personal study) at 1:15, language study at 2:15, Personal Study at 3:15, Physical Activity at 4, comp study or teaching investigator at 5:30, dinner at 6:30, 7:15 language (teacher taught) at 7:15, Teach CRE (TRC) at 8:15, Daily Planning at 9, Fruta (where we all go eat fruit as a dessert or pre bedtime snack) at 9:20, Quiet dignity at 10:15, lights out at 10:30! And that is about how it goes every day! but then Sunday has a lot more focus on just the gospel, Tuesday nights are devotionals, Thursdays are P Day, and yeah. It´s always fun here! Our teachers are all so fun!!

Have you watched the Testament recently?! We watched it Tuesday night, so awesome!! If it´s been awhile, try to do it for a FHE or something! Also, I´ve been reading Our Search for Happiness, and I love that book!!

The church is true! I love you all!! Logan, when I read you email it brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart!! I love you so much buddy!! I got another letter heading your way in the mail so hopefully it makes it there sometime soon!!

Talk to you all next week!! Miss you and love you all!!
Con Amor,
Elder Russell

The Latinos who liked to party all night in our room :)


No comments:

Post a Comment