Monday, April 28, 2014

Traveling by Map (as the Muppets would say :)

Dearest Family,                                                                               

Sorry it sure is a late letter, but today was CRAZY! This morning we took a bus into Piura for a zone activity, to have one last reunion before transfers this next Monday. The plan was to play soccer and volleyball and such, but in the end only about half of the zone showed up! So the 6 sisters and 4 elders (us and the zone leaders!) left and went to CATACAOS! Which is in my old zone, Castilla. It is like the most touristic place in the mission and there is a street filled with trinkets and souveniers. I still have a mountain of time left to be thinking about gifts to bring home, but I did buy a couple cool key chains that I will be using for the time being and maybe gift away in time to lucky companions. :) haha but it was fun! I love every minute we spend with the Zone Leaders, which is a lot really since they are in our District. They have helped me a TON.

Actually this week I had my third Baptismal interview that I performed. Let me tell you, doing those frighten the daylights out of me! It is such a great responsibility, but luckily right before this, one of the Zone Leaders gave me lots of pointers, how-to's, and we did a practice. In the end the interview went fantastic and this young lady had her baptism this past Sunday! She is an investigator of the Zone Leaders. She is very well prepared and she KNOWS how important this gospel is and what it means to strive to keep the commandments. And she is totally up to the task. :)

Well, as for Ecuador, haha here is the story! So we arrive to Piura Tuesday for District Meeting, and to conserve money, we did splits with the zone leaders for the day! And BOY! Did Elder Castillo work me hard or what?! But we got a mountain of contacts in, we contacted a family of like 8 and taught them a lesson and they are very interested, it was such an amazing time working with him!! That night we slept in their apartment, me comfortably on the floor! (they have one extra mattress, but Elder Martinez has a way of sprawling out on that thing, and the last time I got kicked in the face while he was sleeping so this time I thought it smarter to sleep on the floor. hahaha!!) Then at 5 am Elder Toolson and I get up to go to the bus terminal. We arrive and meet up with a big group of other North Americans, along with a handful of Latinos that had flown to Lima for visas the night before. The bus we took was to Tumbes, which is about a 6-7 hour trip. But wow, a beautiful trip!! I swear we were traveling by map, as the Muppets would say, because the landscape would change by the second! One minute we are winding down a mountain side, next thing we are driving by the beach with all the beach houses, then we are surrounded with massive rice plantations, and it just kept alternating! But BEAUTIFUL! I got photos for you to someday see. haha Then we arrive to Tumbes. There we take 2 mini vans to Ecuador. (for this, there was about 16 of us, like 8 elders and 8 sisters, I don't remember the exact number...) Those mini vans had roll bars on the inside, so we knew we were in for an adventure. ;) So the trip to Ecuador was like 1-2 hours, and it was just to this neutral ground between the countries. Technically Ecuador, the Province called El Oro, where we checked out of Peru and Into Ecuador. Then we drove to the other side to Check out of Ecuador and into Peru once again! So I shall forever treasure the solid 1 hour and 20 minutes I spent in Ecuador. haha then we took the mini vans to Tumbes, where we received new mini vans to return to Piura. We arrived around 11:30 that night. So it was just one day PACKED of adventures! And we were given no food. haha I bought Ice Cream and Soy Milk for lunch. Then I slept on the floor again that night! And let me tell ya, It was nice to be in Tambo Grande the next day, and the trip was super fun and full of laughs!! Quite the adventure! So now within the next 90 days I should be traveling to Lima to get more paperwork done so I can stay in Peru with a longer visa.

So one thing I learned this week from Preach my Gospel, well I actually am going to count the videos we have too. The District video sets had training segments and this week I have been watching a load of them about working with members and ward leaders. I have been thinking a lot of how we can strengthen the branch here, as it really needs our help right now in rebuilding its attendance. One thing I really learned is how special and vital the bond is between members and missionaries, and how that is truly the most effective way to do missionary work! I know that we live in 99% Mormon Morgan, but I invite you all to at least learn the names of the missionaries serving there and at least let them know that you are willing to help if they need it! That support means the WORLD to us missionaries. :)

Well, tonight we are going to teach L. and his family!! We are working on putting a date with him!! He has been reading the Book of Mormon and LOVES IT!! He read about baptism in Mosiah 25 and told us that is what he wants!! SUPER! I really think this family is awesome. He is such an amazing guy, it is such a blessing to work with him.

Well, gotta go now!! I love you all!! I hope you have a spectacular week! Keep reading and praying and studying!! One thing this week I am learning is the power of unity!! Make sure you are working to stay united in your families! It will forever bless you!! :)

Love you!

Con amor y felicidad,
Elder Collin Russell




No comments:

Post a Comment