Monday, April 21, 2014

"CORRAN, NO CAMINEN"

¡Buenas Tardes familia!

Espero que tuvieron lo mejor experiencia por la Pascua esta semana, la Pascua y la semana santa son dias muy especiales e importantes para recordar siempre.

Well, there you got your Spanish test in! :) I hope you all had a spectacular week, I got the photos you emailed mom, and man it looks like I really missed out! I have been thinking about that Easter Egg Hunt we always do, I guess you'll just have to leave all those number 6 eggs hidden until I get back! haha

The Branch Activity "Puertas Abiertas" (Open House) for Easter went pretty well! Here it has been a long while since the Branch has really organized an activity like this. And it was greatly organized! We got Priesthood, Relief Society, Primary, and YM/YW teachers who taught classes, then we showed the video "Finding Faith in Christ" then ended with Sandwiches and Chica morada! The teachers taught in pairs and there were 4 rotations. In each station they taught 2 principles of the first missionary lesson: The Restoration. The activity was focused to receive investigators and for members to bring their friends, but I am still pleased with the results. It brought one adult investigator, and a great handful of children that live nearby. haha We as missionaries actually had to run back to the apartment to get an extension cord and we prepared the video setup, but the Branch delegated a member to write down all the reference information for the investigators, so we will be starting to visit them real soon! It was so great to see the energy of the Branch, as it was a very full house of members, active and less active! So it was successful in planting the seed to return at least! The sad part was that church attendance the next day was painfully low.... so that will be our homework on kicking that back up. One thing about that, remember when I said they have permission to look for grounds to build a chapel? Well that is if they can keep up around 100 as their attendance. minimal 80. So I have made that my personal goal for us to reach that before I leave this area. Right now we hit 40 to 50. So let's put that real diligence and faith to the test!! :)

This past week was awesome also in how I got to go to the District Leader Training Meeting. Those are without a doubt the BEST meetings in this mission. LOOOVE THEM. This time, the theme was "CORRAN, NO CAMINEN" (RUN, DON'T WALK) And President Rowley powerfully taught us that this mission lacks the sense of urgency and setting high goals. I love a good smack in the face like that. I used that as the theme of our District Meeting. I hope and pray we can get this mission to run. He told us that every district can have the goal of baptizing every week. He mentioned how great the faith and diligence necessary is, but we can do it. I hope we can get to that point. Right now our District has 1 investigator with a date. Here in Tambo Grande we don't have anyone. And I am SO ready to get out of this rut and WORK.

As for my Preach My Gospel studies, I was impacted by something in the Teaching Skills chapter about Addictions. We aren't teaching anyone right now that has a serious addition, that I know of yet, at least. But I felt like I should read it today. And it really hit me how the strongest way to help someone with an addiction (or really ANY difficulty) is to never stop showing your love and do everything to make sure they keep strong growing in the faith. Sometimes personally I can be like "ARE YOU SERIOUS CLARK?! Why can't you get that you need to change NOW!! But that is exactly what we should NOT do. But be patient, be obedient personally, and show charity. These people are the ones that need Christlike attributes flooding around them. I plan to really start applying this, I really think that will help me.

As for adventures that come this week... Well, I won't be in Tambo Grande for much of the time... Tuesday District Meeting and a Training Meeting for Family History. Then Wednesday and Thursday.... I will be in Ecuador. Yep, Ecuador. There is a group of us going up there, and it is for visa stuff and all that. So looong bus rides and international missionary proselyting! haha I will be sure to send a postcard if we have time outside of visa offices and bus terminals. :)

Today we went and played soccer this morning. For only an hour and a half, and I put on sunscreen and wore a hat. But WHEW, that sun is strong here!! I got some great burn lines I will be sending a picture along before too long! :) We then played cards with the family of the Pensionista and that was really fun. A good P Day today! Also, Mom, our pensionista reminds me of you, as she is always always telling us to smile, laugh, and BE HAPPY! :) She is so great to us and we always leave feeling better than when we entered! No need to worry Mom, we are very well taken care of here.

Saturday we had a service activity, where we went and helped a less active in his fields. We "Thrusteth in our sickles with our might" haha! It was to clear out all the overgrown shrubs and plants surrounding their mango and lime trees. When we took a break and ate fruit, they talked to me all about how I could build a fortune in the mango export and import. Dad, I mentioned that you work as an accountant and so they told me to let you know about this. If you are interested, I can line you up with some stellar Mango farmers ;) Food for thought! But you never know, I sure am opening doors here if my future career ever wanted to take me international! 

Well, all is well in Tambo Grande! One member of the Lucas family asked what "Tambo" was. It is a type of tree if I'm not mistaken… So now you know! We are growing stronger every day. I feel my Savior's love, and I know my Redeemer lives. I watched the Testaments yesterday for Easter, I always cry at the end when Jesus heals Helam. I feel the power of Christ healing ME daily. Another thing I learned this week is that Grace is what will allow us to enter the Celestial kingdom, but we can also receive grace DAILY when we do our part. I know He strengthens us and carries us daily if we seek him. I love you all, I hope you have the best of the best weeks this week!! And I shall talk to you next week! :)

Let us all Run and not Walk as we work to personally know Jesus Christ more personally and invite others to do the same. As Presidente Rowley always ends his letters: ¡A Trabajar!

Con amor y felicidad,
Elder Collin Russell

On Exchanges with Elder Toolson, eating  Papa Rellena!


No comments:

Post a Comment