Monday, December 9, 2013

The Family is One of the Biggest Gifts

Hey there everybody!!                                       

Thank you all for the great emails! It sounds like everyone is doing well! And thank you again all you Petersons for the Christmas countdown thing, I love it everyday as I wake up! Today with Jeremy Lucas' scripture, that was GREAT! Thanks man, truly nothing is impossible with God on our side. :) And LOGAN! I hear you sang SOLO for a basketball game, Holy COW, that is some serious strong work. Keep it up bro! And Elder Hales, wowzers is he on a roll or what?! I need to take a serious look at what he's doing, because he is rocking the whole mission thing like none other!! Keep up the good work, man!

Well, you are all lucky with all that snow! And it sounds like it's FREEZING! Over here it's actually been rather cool, but we always sleep with the fan going. And I think I'm always sweating during the day. So be grateful for the cold, and know I would trade the world for 5 minutes of it. :)

Christmas down here hasn't been getting terribly big yet. They have Christmas trees in some of the restaurants or stores, but I have seen 2 total in all the homes we've visited. And one was on a transfer with a zone leader in their area. So Christmas trees aren't too big. :) We watched the Christmas Devotional last night and that was great to get me pumped up for Christmas! We listen to Christmas music in our apartment fairly often, but other than that nothing big is going around for the merry season. haha Oh, but Christmas lights I have seen a decent amount of, and I enjoy that!! :) Uncle Bryan, you were right, this will be a very different kind of Christmas, and I do think it will be one of the most memorable. I do believe it will be one of my most homesick moments, just not having the presence of family, but we've always got knee mail and Heavenly Father is a pretty good service provider for feeling your love and prayers for me. :)

Yes, this Sunday was the Confirmation of Hermana Mara, and that was great. I know she will be so great in this church. I've already been seeing her invite others to come to church with her, and she really has received new strength! It's a transformation since I first met her, truly! In answer to your question, Mom, Hermano Jacinto, her husband, works in the ocean, like many men here in Sechura, especially in the growing and collecting of clams, and the many other types of shelled sea life around here. It's quite interesting to learn about!

We need to start really working on new investigators. We honestly haven't ever been on a big roll with that... So hopefully we can learn how to do that, and actually get asking people for references! I know we can do it. And that's our goal. :)

The baptism for Elena and Jeanpier Chunga was amazing! I baptized Elena and Elder Inocente baptized Jeanpier. And this has been a great experience. And at the baptism I received such reaffirmation towards all of our work! Azucena, Elena's daughter who is a member, was so excited for all of this! And it's so true that this work blesses the FAMILY! Hermana Elena has another son who is a member, and he is on a mission in Guatemala, so I hope he's having a great P Day today receiving word about all that! :) The branch has been good at welcoming Elena and that was a big part of it, but it brings such peace to my soul, that what little part I am in this work truly is meaningful. I didn't implant that testimony in her or force her into the baptismal font, But, that gives me a good feeling to know my lessons and testimony, that are never perfect, help.

I know that the church is true. I know the truthfulness of this gospel is being spread to every nation, tongue and people, and I am so blessed to be a part of the work! The Lord doesn't need me, this could continue without me, but I feel the blessings as I try to run my hardest for 2 short years, and I feel that the Lord allows us to help in the work so we can grow in the process. And I am so thankful for this opportunity!!


May you all have a GREAT week, I love you all SO much!! I miss you all, I keep you in my prayers! Choose the right, always remember the true meaning of Christmas and show your love for your family a little stronger in this season, because the family is one of the biggest gifts we could ever receive. If not THE biggest.

I love you all, keep being awesome and I hope to hear from y'all next P Day! :)
Con amor y felicidad, 
Elder Russell


Pictures from the baptism of Elena and Jeanpier
 Elena, Jeanpiere and Azucena
(Collin's cute feet :)

(…and this is another picture I love from last week's baptism of Hermana Mara)

No comments:

Post a Comment