Monday, August 3, 2015

"...by their fruits ye shall know them."

Hello family!!

well, this week I have to do a questionnaire and also do a monthly report and we got to the internet a tad late so I am going to be a little short! Sorry!!!! But I mean... I'll be seeing you all before too long so you can ask me all the questions in the world when I am back home... haha

What did you learn this week?
This week I learned a bit more about persistence when prompted by the Spirit. Sometimes I can be a little stubborn when we already have plans set and we are already running late, but this week we had several SPECTACULAR contacts because I took the initiative to step aside and chat with people. Also persistence in the same thing. We contacted a man about 2 weeks ago that just never has free time, but we have just kept passing by and saying hi and asking when we can visit. We still haven't gotten to enter his house and teach something but his family already seems to be very warmed up to us! The magic of planting seeds in the hearts of these people.

Speaking of one of those contacts, we found an awesome guy who had LOTS of questions about the church. He had a school teacher who taught him that the Mormon church was a CIA program to send spies (us Missionaries) througout the world. Never had I heard that before!! But we explained what the church is all about and we took care of that rumor.
...But walking away from that contact the first thing I said to my companion was "We gotta relocate. They've caught on to us." And we started talking about how a helicopter was going to come out of nowhere and take us away and we would leave that young man sitting there in shock as we flew away. hahah we found it to be a fun thing to imagine.

What have you liked best about working with Elder Mallo?
Lots of things!!
He keeps me working hard in talking to everyone and to never forget to street contact.
He keeps me from making excuses and working hard. Sometimes there are things that I don't like doing but he keeps me in line with some of that stuff.
He loves the Zone and holds high expectations for them, he always wants them to fulfill high goals, and he influences them well.
He helps me do a more effective exercise in the morning, He's got me lifting more weight, running, eating more protein (I'm no buff yet... but I'll get there someday. haha)
and so on! We fill each other's faults real well and make a good team. So it has been real fun and a good learning experience!

What are you are most looking forward to eating when you return?
During my whole mission when asked that question I always replied that I would most enjoy a Pork Burrito from Cafe Rio. That always sounds good to me.

What do you feel is the greatest change that has occurred in the Collin who left two years ago and the Collin who is returning next week? (I know! That's a big question! :)
wow... yep, BIG question. hmmm....

I would say honestly the degree of discipleship I have committed myself to. And I'm much more mature now, I feel like I have developed a much stronger self control. In Luke 2:52, it teaches how Jesus grew:
"And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man."
I'm not a perfect man or anything close to Jesus, but I have felt the same way during these past 2 years. I don't know what others will see out of me, maybe I am totally wrong...

but I feel like my wisdom has grown: I now understand the scriptures, I truly know more in depth than before about the Plan of Salvation. Also in how to work with people, teaching skills, etc.

In stature, I think I am not as skinny as before, maybe not by much... haha

in favor with God: I have grown to more fully understand and accept His Plan, as well as the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I better know what He expects of me and how I can receive and follow the promptings of the spirit as well as improve my Christlike attributes.

and in favor with man: I know how to love my neighbor a lot more than I did before, I feel like I am more able to submit myself to the ideas or desires of another even though I may not be in full agreement, and I know how to work better with others and help others and show my love to others.

So to sum it all up, I feel that the greatest change has been that I am now following the steps that the Savior took and would like me to take. I feel as though he has been able to form and tune me to be a better instrument in His hands. But, "by their fruits, ye shall know them." One of the things I have most reflected upon is how I will be able to affect the lives of those around me when I get home. My hope is that I may become a light to help all of you in some better way and bring to pass much good as a dedicated servant of God, with or without a black nametag.

Well, I don't know if I will be able to write next Monday or not... We'll see!

I love you all so much!! Have a great week and I'll see you on the other side!

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church. I know it and I testify as a personal representative of our Lord Jesus Christ. This is His church. He has restored it in these latter days through the prophet Joseph Smith. Thomas S. Monson is a prophet who leads the church today. The Book of Mormon is true and is the evidence of this message I share. It is also the strongest manner of coming to know Jesus Christ and of his Atonement. I know that through the Atonement of Christ ALL MEN shall return to the presence of the Father and that all men may be saved from sin if they apply the gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives. I know that God lives, He is our Father. He loves us and has prepared this plan so we may return to live with Him. I testify that these things are true. I know they are true because the Holy Ghost has indicated to me that they are true. I testify in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment