Monday, June 16, 2014

Sunday is "Game Day" for Missionaries

Dearest family!                                                   

Happy, Happy Late Fathers Day!! Dad, sure love you! You're letter about hot air balloons sure got me thinking. I just might start searching for a great new P Day activity, even though I have not seen a single one yet in Peru.

Sunday is always game day for us missionaries to see how things are going in the work. This Sunday morning we passed by a couple members and investigators to invite them to church and check up to see if they were getting ready. But the main focus was once again the T family. We passed by with 15 minutes until church started. We are walking up to the house and L is outside on his Moto Taxi. We walk up and say "Hey you ready to go to church?" He said "No... I'm going to work." We kinda went "...oh, alright." And he told us to go knock the door that his family was getting ready. So we went up and yep! Two of the kids were all ready. Then the wife came up and she said she was getting all set and ironing the clothes for her other daughter. So that was a good sign! We turn around and L was about to head off and man I was REALLY wanting to get him to church but didn't know what to do. I asked "Can you attend just for the first hour?" "No Hermano..." "ah, yeah ok…" And he left. And honestly he looked rather bummed out or weighed down from that encounter. But he left. We told his wife we would wait for them but they needed to hurry, they said no, just wait at the church and she walked back to get ready. So we were sitting there... do we wait? We are also two of the very few priesthood brethren and we bless the Sacrament every week so we couldn't be late. So we called over a moto to leave. Right as we tell the guy where we are going, we get in and start to leave. And then L drives over and stops and walks into the house not saying anything to us. Then we were off to church.

We started Church. I was honestly convinced they weren't going to come, but I still had a little hope. Then BOOM! In walks the three kids! Then walks in L!!!! The bummer is his wife didn't come though. But we got L finally with a church attendance to work with!

It seems like he wasn't too thrilled to be there for 3 hours... I think he was kinda preoccupied about needing to work, but we had some good classes and us Elders gave some spectacular talks in Sacrament ;) haha and at one point there was something super awesome that gave me hope for the family:  L wanted to go after the 2nd hour. He actually called out to his daughters in YW class saying "hey let's go", and they SHOOK THEIR HEADS NO!!! WOO!! I was doing a lot of mental fist pumps. We got very good reports about the girls and it looks like they loved church! Now we got to work on a more spiritually edifying time for L. I mean he seemed to learn a lot and enjoy the classes, but when you got your mind focused on work it is a little harder for the spirit to touch your heart as strongly. But there is the first step.

I am super excited and thankful they attended. We are starting to get great results from the whole family. The husband and wife have the baptismal date set for the 12th of July, and I think a baptismal date set for their daughters could be right around the corner. We are also going to teach their older daughter and invite her boyfriend to start taking the lessons too. Pray for this family!!

And other good news, I am staying here in Tambo Grande! It looks like I will have 6 months here in Total, so 6 more weeks. I am super glad. Also that is perfect because H wants me as his best man or something like that for his wedding for the 26th of July, so that is rather exciting :)

Things keep rolling along! Elder Plata and I are working really hard! I hope we can find a lot of new investigators and baptize families. I love this gospel.

My talk in Sacrament was about the Book of Mormon. I know that book is true. I love that book more than anything, it helps me so much. If you need help with ANYTHING. Anything at all, spiritual or temporal, trivial or life changing, the Book of Mormon contains everything necessary to bring true happiness and joy in this life and the life to come.

I love you all! Keep being awesome!

Atte:
Elder Collin Russell


My recent trip to Lima...
 Pizza with the gringos
 Living the good life with Elder Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment